In order to boost Pilgrimage Tourism in West Bengal (WB), Mamata Banerjee, Chief Minister of the state yesterday announced her government’s decision to set-up the Gangasagar tourism project. “I have asked the land department to hand over ten acres to the Tourism Department for the project which will comprise Gangasagar pilgrimage centre, shopping complex,
hotels and other infrastructure,” she added. Banerjee was speaking at Gangasagar Mela Maidan on the second and concluding day of her visit to South 24 Parganas. She said that although after the Kumbh Mela, the Gangasagar Mela attracted the largest turnout of devotees in the country, the previous government took no initiative for its development. “When I had came to this island to attend a political conference five-six years ago, I found it in a state of neglect. I had then thought that if I ever get a chance, I would give it a makeover,” she added. Banerjee said, “The jetty has been upgraded, the roads have been broadened and the electricity has come to every block. Earlier power used to come for barely an hour and now there is power all through,” she added. A few months ago, Banerjee had also initiated an ambitious project to promote tourism in the neighbouring Sundarbans, informed a report by Parwez Hafeez in Asian Age. To make the Sundarbans an international tourist destination, 200 acres have been identified in Baghkhali.
Click here to see the original article>hotels and other infrastructure,” she added. Banerjee was speaking at Gangasagar Mela Maidan on the second and concluding day of her visit to South 24 Parganas. She said that although after the Kumbh Mela, the Gangasagar Mela attracted the largest turnout of devotees in the country, the previous government took no initiative for its development. “When I had came to this island to attend a political conference five-six years ago, I found it in a state of neglect. I had then thought that if I ever get a chance, I would give it a makeover,” she added. Banerjee said, “The jetty has been upgraded, the roads have been broadened and the electricity has come to every block. Earlier power used to come for barely an hour and now there is power all through,” she added. A few months ago, Banerjee had also initiated an ambitious project to promote tourism in the neighbouring Sundarbans, informed a report by Parwez Hafeez in Asian Age. To make the Sundarbans an international tourist destination, 200 acres have been identified in Baghkhali.
